Domain Migration for Nine Brands
SEO case study for Nine with Digital Minds
A website or domain change may sometimes be necessary. We’ve all heard stories of sites losing a lot of traffic over the process, so it’s understandable this can present a nightmare for an established site.
Over the years, we’ve worked on countless domain migrations and this case study is a great example of this done correctly, with confidence.
Channel Nine owns and operates one of Australia’s most visited web portals, with properties including Nine.com.au, Wide World Of Sports, 9News, and the streaming service 9Now. During Nine’s major rebrand from Ninemsn to Nine, Digital Minds was engaged to assist in planning, prioritising and reviewing the migration process for 10 separate brands over a 6 month period. This major domain migration had significant implications over both the short and long term for the brand and posed a major threat to search traffic across all websites under the Nine banner.
1. Preparation & Planning
- Identification of migration risks to SEO
- Development of domain migration plan and schedule for internal stakeholders
- SEO traffic forecasting and setting of expectations
- Worked with dev teams to migrate each domain based on approved schedule
- Review of each site as rolled out onto new domain
- Identification of technical fixes
- Tracking of performance across all Nine properties
- Post launch review of 1, 3 and 6 months post-migration
The domain migration and rebranding of all 10 properties from Ninemsn to Nine was a major success. The key to this result was ensuring a robust migration plan was in place from the get-go, process management and strong collaboration across the teams.
Shortly after the migration had concluded, Nine.com.au also leaped to 4th position in Nielsens digital news rankings and up from their previous 8th position.